Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Can We Move On Already?!

Today's journalists really need some Dr. Phil advice on the value of letting go and moving on.

See, since the late 80s - early 90s, people have been saying that feminism is dead, no longer necessary and that today's womyn and girls are apathetic, spoiled and completely unaware of how they got to where they are today. And well, they've made it! This was repeated this weekend with the Globe and Mail (usually a bastion of lefty ideas) headline: FEMINISM IS OUT OF STYLE.

The author talks about how her niece and daughter didn't know who Gloria Steinem was, which she therefore concludes that they are completely out of touch with womyn's issues. She "elaborates" this point by stating statistic after statistic about how womyn are still oppressed in society. All true stats, by the way.

Now, I will agree with her that feminism is out of style. But "feminism" in the protesting, Gloria Steinem kinda way hasn't been in style since the heyday of the 60s. Does that mean that all womyn born and living since then are anti-womyn asshats? Nooooooo. They just don't look, sound or talk like Gloria Steinem and that era. Which would make sense, because that was 40 some yrs ago!

What I'm trying to say is that I agree that feminism is out of style and that indeed does suck. Feminism is pretty stellar and the feminazi - manhating stereotypes are old and really annoying. But people have been touting the "FEMINISM IS DEAD" for almost 20 years now and yet, feminist activism, prose and work in general still exists, still lives and still kicks ass.

So every time I hear the "Feminism is dead", I just roll my eyes and think Ugh... Can we move on already? Those that are saying that are just looking in the wrong places and just because there isn't one giant movement with one unified leader (a la Gloria Steinem) doesn't mean we're not kicking ass and taking names.

Hey, Globe and Mail - Monday was the 20th anniversary of the Morgenteller decision. Yeah, abortions have been decriminalized for 20 yrs now. Which would mean.. 1988, which if you do the math, means well after the 1960s and yet, HOLY SHIT - IT STILL HAPPENED!

Also, Gloria Steinem was a big deal, I get that. But you're Canadian and writing for a Canadian paper, so maybe you should get educated on Canadian feminism and rely on the greats of Judy Rebick or Laura Sabia, hell even Heather Mallick!

Oh and I'm also really, really annoyed with Von Hahn and others for seeing the movie Juno as proof that anti-choicers are winning the fight for reproductive rights. Hum.. NEWSFLASH! Pro-CHOICE means the choice to keep your baby if that's what you want to do. Juno's 16 yrs old, confident, intelligent and makes a decision completely on her own. THAT is a feminist victory.


P.S
Gloria Steinem - Don't get me wrong. I really do love you.

1 comment:

Ren said...

HEAR HEAR LADY OF THE HOUR!

Right on - I love reading this stuff. Aside from the fact that I love you dearly, I really do think you're a spectacular writer. I love the way you adress issues that are important to you.

This issue in particular I know is near and dear to your heart.

I never understood feminism until I met you. So to say that "Feminism is Dead" would be wrong.

Feminism is only Beginning.

XRen