Tonight is the annual Take Back the Night March here in Canada's capital of O-Town. And it's a damn good thing. Because one look at the local newspapers makes me sick to my stomach.
- We have the trial of a Nunavut womyn who was sexually assaulted when visiting Ottawa.
- We finally have a suspect in the gang rapes of two university students at York University.
- We have a strange turn of events where the investigation into one student's vicious stabbing death in Toronto uncovers the story of a grade 9 student who was sexually assaulted.
- We have a 15 yr old boy on trial for viciously murdering a 14 year old Montreal girl.
- We have the trial of a man who ran an underage prostitution ring.
- We have the crown seeking the "dangerous offender" label for a teacher who has sexually assaulted his young female students. This is not the first time he is being charged with this crime.
- We have a new composite sketch in the murder of 7 month pregnant Kelly Morrisseau.
Oh and just yesterday, two womyn in separate instances were abducted and sexually assaulted in Ottawa. And, we're still looking for the scumbag that sexually assaulted and left for dead a Carleton University student.
And yet people question why I am a feminist. They question the Take Back the Night March. Myself, I question why we're settling for taking back the night. Logistically, only 3 of the above cases occurred at night. In the case of the womyn abducted just yesterday in Ottawa, a 14 year old girl was abducted at 7:45Am in front of Parliament Hill.
So tonight, I shall march side by side with others who understand that THIS IS NOT OKAY.