Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Bling and Babies

Part 2 of my discussion on genitalia in the media looks at the funding of IVF or In-Vitro Fertilization.

I came across this article about a month or so now written be a medical ethicist who is lobbying the provinces to fund IVF for couples who want children. I went into reading the article with some pretty strong convinctions of my own regarding IVF.

I do not support the use of IVF as a general rule. Let me clarify here that I am referring to heterosexual couples, which is who this particular ethicist was referring to as well. Reproductive issues for non-heterosexual couples is a whole other can of worms that I won't get into here.

Nonetheless, in my undergrad, I wrote a paper in my philosophy course on my reasons for it and in a nutshell, I think it's selfish. I think people who choose IVF are less interested in being parents than in having small little versions of themselves. There are tons of children awaiting adoption and so why not choose that route instead? I am baffled by the morality of this society which looks down upon abortion (therefore supporting adoption) and yet is such a strong supporter of IVF. Where does these adopted babies go exactly?

Now I know couples who are seeking IVF and so I have been challenged directly by this, but I have yet to hear a solid argument in support of it.

HOWEVER, this article persuaded me that if we are going to have IVF, it should be funded.

Now I've heard peeps say "Hey, we fund abortions, so why not fund families who desperately seek a child but can't afford it?"

I don't support the funding of IVF because I'm all about the babies. I'm not. Babies are alright and all, I suppose but the reason I support the funding of IVF for couples in Canada is because, according to those in the medical profession, who presumably know what the hell they're talking about, when couples seek out IVF but do not have the necessary moola to acquire it, they find doctors who will prescribe them the drugs only, which results in triplets or more.

Basically, no moola + infertility + desire for baby = babieS, plural. Which in strictly economic terms, doesn't make a whole hell of a lot of sense.

I do not have a medical background and so in this particular case, I need to rely on those who do to lead the way. So if you want my opinion (which if you don't, why the hell are you reading this?!) provinces should fund IVF for couples who seek it out. Not because I support the use of IVF but because I don't support the idea of families having a bajillion babies they can't afford.

In this sense, I guess it's a harm reduction baby-making model.

No comments: